• Thu. Feb 29th, 2024

National Tribune

Flagging The Conscience Of Truth

Anambra Assembly Speaker Administers Oath to New Member as Former Incumbent is Replaced

ByWeb Manager

Dec 20, 2023

In Awka on Tuesday, the Speaker of the Anambra House of Assembly, Dr. Somtochukwu Udeze (APGA Ogbaru II), administered the oath of office to Mr. Justice Azuka (LP Onitsha North Constituency l), officially inducting him as a member of the parliament. Azuka assumes the position, filling the seat vacated by Mr. Douglas Egbuna of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), following court verdicts that led to his removal.

The Election Petition Appeal Court, sitting in Awka on November 25, upheld the Anambra State House of Assembly Election Petition Tribunal’s decision to oust Egbuna from the seat, a ruling initially made on September 29. The tribunal had directed the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to withdraw the Certificate of Return issued to Egbuna and declared Azuka as the legitimate winner of the March 18 election in the state.

During the same session, Speaker Udeze read a letter from Governor Chukwuma Soludo, seeking approval for a N2 billion loan intended for palliatives following the removal of the fuel subsidy. The letter, dated December 18, outlined that the Federal Government would repay 52% of the loan, while the state government would be responsible for the remaining 48%.

Additionally, the House took a moment to extend felicitations to Igwe Kenneth Orizu of Nnewi, the longest-serving traditional ruler in the Southeast geopolitical zone, as he celebrated his 98th birthday and marked the 60th anniversary of his reign. The motion to congratulate the traditional ruler was moved by Hon. Augustine Ike (YPP- Nnewi North). (NAN)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *